Sales Planner, Advertising Marketing
The Athletic is a digital sports media company that brings true sports fans closer to the athletes, teams and leagues that captivate their attention. We serve a multi-faceted audience that craves a richer connection and understanding with immersive storytelling and a like-minded community of fans. Founded in 2016 and with major operational hubs in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London and Melbourne, we empower a truly global team of more than 600 creators and cover more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams across the United States, Canada and the UK. Our newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth reports along with more than 120 podcasts and other forms of premium content. Put simply, The Athletic is at the center of a sports fan’s universe.
About The Role
The Sales Planner will act in partnership with our Advertising Sales & Strategy teams to lead and support thoughtful and compelling programs that deliver successful outcomes for our Advertisers. The Sales Planner will be knowledgeable of digital and audio advertising platforms, tools, and products to create compelling media offerings. The Sales Planner will work with The Athletic clients externally and be a partner to sales and other operational teams internally.
This is a remote-based position in the United States or Canada.
- Support development of RFP (Requests for Proposal) process utilizing the full scope of The Athletic’s ad products that strategically address the advertiser’s needs and campaign objectives for digital and audio business lines.
- Build and revise media plans, check avails, reserve fixed placements and update associated fixed placement calendars, and negotiate Terms & Conditions; Enter final plans into online proposal systems
- Manage the digital process workflow from RFP to IO and liaise with key approval stakeholders in AdOps, Revenue Analytics, Legal, Ad Product, Research and Strategy
- Adhere to process controls and ensure all approvals are accurately secured
- Maintain proper documentation of all IOs, T&Cs and Campaign activities
- Attend all Product trainings and develop a deep understanding of the full suite of The Athletic’s products across all platforms
- Assist with campaign kick off management
- Coordinate handoff of digital campaigns to AdOps to ensure pre and post sales continuity
- Field customer complaints and work with the appropriate department to resolve them
- Respond to servicing and information requests from team members and clients: work with various internal teams to gather information for customers and fulfill requests
- Provide excellent customer service to both internal and external clients
- Communicate detailed and specific account information to Sales and Operations management as needed
- When other team members are out of office or low on bandwidth, Planner is responsible for coverage and resourcing assistance to support larger department needs
- Planner is expected to surf the TA site regularly and frequently to ensure our Client’s ads are delivering as expected
- 1-2+ years media experience.
- BS/BA degree or related degree
- Attention to detail and organized
- Excellent knowledge of advertising and digital media
- Proficiency in Microsoft and Google office applications; sales and data management tools such as Salesforce are also desirable
- Motivated self-starter and quick learner
- Collaborative, responsive and accountable.
- Excellent communication skills both with external clients as well as internal stakeholders
- Excellent relationship-building skills and the ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Strong ability to communicate end-to-end planning process and share that knowledge with the larger team
- This is a remote-based position in the United States or Canada
The annual base salary range for this role is $56,000.00 - $70,000.00 USD. The total compensation offered for this position may vary based on factors such as education, experience, skills, and location. It may also include non-cash rewards and benefits. The base salary range is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
The Athletic offers unique perks and benefits to all full-time employees based on their country of residence. Our comprehensive US benefits package includes:
- Highly competitive, employer-contributed medical, dental, vision, basic life and disability insurance plans
- Savings accounts for medical, wellness, and childcare expenses
- 401k retirement savings plan and employer match
- Paid time off including paid sick leave, 11 paid holidays, up to 20 days of accrued paid time off, and up to 20 weeks of Paid Parental Leave
For international candidates: Our global benefits packages offer similar benefits and perks, competitive to the local market.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Click here to review our Applicant Privacy Notice, which describes how and when The Athletic Media Company collects, uses, and shares certain personal information of job applicants and prospective employees.
Here for every sports story that matters.